Mary Ward Loreto Foundation, in collaboration with the Ministry of Education, Sports and Youth organized the launching of the research: “Ethics in the Education System in Albania”, in the southern region of Albania at the Restaurant Event Mustafa in Vlora.
The study was led by the Mary Ward Loreto Foundation in collaboration with the Ministry of Education and Sports. MWL employed ACER(Albania Centre for Research), led by Dr. Zef Preci.
The prevalence of unethical behavior in schools has never been measured before in Albania. Mary Ward Loreto Foundation, in partnership with the Ministry of Education, Sports and Youth, have initiated a nationwide research in all levels of education, from preschool to Master’s level, in order to measure the severity and frequency of unethical behavior. The research used a mixed methodology with a representative sampling for each level of education nationwide.
As an important actor in education in Albania the voices in the southern region added value and increased awareness of this situation. This voice brought to the table important issues in the education of young citizens in Albania. The goal of the conference in Vlora, was to spark new strategies and initiatives for the improvement of education for each child and for each young person in Albania.
We thank the speakers of the event for their gratitude, appreciation and sharing of educational issues together.
Thank you to Mrs. Rozalba Medani: Head of the Department of Education Policy and Education at the Ministry of Education and Sports, the Mrs. Albana Hodaj Director of DAR in Vlora, Mr. Zef Preci and the Researchers from ACER. We also thank Mrs Edlira Gjoni for moderating the conference, the Board of MWL Education who led this work to its completion, Mrs. Brikena Puka Executive Director in Vatra who assisted us with her local knowledge and Mr. Shaban Mehmeti Deputy Mayor of Vlora for his presence and carefully constructed words. We are grateful to all for such great collaboration throughout this process.
Please find below the most important issues which were discussed by the audience in the conference:
“ETHICS IN THE EDUCATION SYSTEM IN ALBANIA”
The participants were: Teachers from Vlora, Fier, Gjirokastra, Tepelena, Berat, Durres, Elbasan etc; Parents form Vlora; Students from Vlora
The participants discussed in round tables about the questions which were displayed on the monitor then they came up with their own comments and questions addressed to the reps from the MASR, MWL and ACER. The following are the issues discussed in the last part of the conference.
- 1. The material delivered to the participants was welcomed by them.
- 2. There should be a close relation among teachers, psychologist, social workers, parents, teachers, students, and the community.
- 3. The Code of Family and the Code of Ethics have to be applied in the family, first.
- 4. Teachers, parents and students have to be informed about the by laws not only via emails or internet, but they have to be provided with these documents in their schools, where they teach and where their children learn.
- 5. The subjects that treat ethics in classes are not enough to educate the students in the schools, but all the teachers should find ways to teach ethic during their teaching in/out their classes in order to prepare their students for their future life.
- 6. Ethical issues have to be included in the school Curriculum & Syllabus.
- 7. The code of Ethics have to be applied in a vertical way (from top-down).
- 8. To take preventive measures for violating the code of ethics.
- 9. To make our students aware of the importance of the ethical issues in our education system.
- 10. There has to be a special subject on the Code of Ethics in all the universities in Albania.
- 11. What tools and ways is the MASR going to take and use in order to involve parents in policy decision and policy making?
- 12. MASR, IZHA and all the NGOs have to do trainings on the Code of Ethics.
- 13. Assistant teachers have to be professionals and they have to attend regular trainings on ethics side by side with their subjects.
- 14. The best parenting has to be promoted by MASR and other NGOs.
- 15. Teachers have to be strong, transparent and with dignity to defend their rights and actions on ethical issues in their schools.
- 16. Mothers and fathers have to be trained in ethical issues.
- 17. The Report on Ethics has to be used by the professional networks.
- 18. MWL has to prepare a tool kit for teachers in the Kindergarden and elementary schools with different activities with Dos and Don’ts.
Hoping all these findings from the participants’ comments will help MWL and MAS to come up with a detailed action plan on teacher and parent training and we wish great success in the endeavor to develop a greater ethical Education System in Albania.
Please find below a reportage done by the local media in Vlora and some photos of the event: