Albania cannot be indifferent to human trafficking and we have to fight together to stop this global issue. The primary objective of the International Day is to create greater awareness about this phenomenon and to reflect on the overall situation of violence and injustice that affect so many people who have no voice, do not count, and are no one: they are simply slaves.
At this special time our eyes focus on those who proclaim freedom. This message invites us to contemplate the reality of millions of our brothers and sisters who are exploited and trafficked and have no freedom. Our hearts are touched when we hear the dreams and desires for a peaceful life, a dignified life, a life in abundance. Our ears listen to stories of hope and mercy. This is the story of Giuseppina Bakhita. During this time, we carry St Bakhita in our heart and thoughts. She is the Patron Saint of the kidnapped and trafficked people.
On 7 February 2016 the Church in Albania marked this International day of Prayer, reflection and action Against Human Trafficking. URAT network which includes Mary Ward Loreto Foundation and the Catholic Church, in collaboration with Bishop George Frendo OP, organized a special prayer service at the Cathedral of St. Paul in Tirana.
We prayed together for the victims of trafficking, we made calls to stop this action and lit the candles for the victims of trafficking. We showed a fotonovele with the history of St Bahkita. During the service we formed a circle forming a chain, hand in hand, showing solidarity and standing together in our faith. It is together that we are able to beat this phenomenon. At the end of the event we gave to everyone, a prayer card against trafficking.
Please find below pictures of this activity:
Please find below all the activities of the other events that have been organized in many other cities during this special week. Bakhita Week Events in MWL Women areas.
The List of activities that took place:
- A prayer against human trafficking at the Church of Kallmet on Feb 7th, 2016.
- A prayer at the Cathedral of Lezha on Feb 7th, 2016.
- A prayer day in Shendelli on February 14th 2016
- A training session took place in Barbulloje with the support of Sisters of Barbulloje on Feb 9th, 2016.
- Training session on February 10th in Fier with the involvement of the religious of the area
- A training session took place in Hot i Ri on February 11th
- A raising awareness activity with the collaboration of the religious in Tropoja involving 4 villages (Raja, Dushaj, Cernica and Zona B) on February 25th
Below you will see a fotonovele with the history of St Bahkita.